[cups.bugs] Slowdowns and Offline printers

Miguel miguel_notthispart_ at thedeanda.com
Thu Aug 19 23:59:37 PDT 2004

"Trev Thorpe" wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
>   I am experiencing random slowdowns on certain printers and at times the=
> se
> printers are also being placed into an "offline" state. While they are in=
>  an
> offline state any jobs queued up are lost and need reprinting.
>
>   These are all HP4050 printers.
>
>   I am running on Debian Linux Stable. We have been running Cups for well=
>  over
> 1 years time now as well with little or no problems. Most of our printers
> are problem free with the exception of these 3. The listed problem is
> sparatic as well, not happening evey day..
>
>   Anyone else with this type of problem ??
>

> --=20
> Trev Thorpe

I get the offline thing. I have a Brother HL-1440 printer. It seems to happen when the printer is not used for a long time. Maybe its goes into a deeper sleep and the system thinks it has been shut down. But either way, it should keeps things in queue at least and automatically come back online. I have to (at least using kprinter) go into 'su' mode and re-enable the printer. I'm not losing any print jobs but a non-root user can't get it to print. This isn't good because I want them to print (home computer).