Media tray empty!

Bahamat bahamat at digitalelf.net
Mon Aug 16 21:14:58 PDT 2004

Media tray empty!

But it is not!

I have been searching the Internet for hours.  Google, USENet, IRC, hpijs, cups, linuxprinting.org, debian-user, suse.com, and on and on and on.  There are aparently hundreds of people out there who get the report from cups "Media tray empty!" when there is clearly paper (and tons of it) in the tray.  But there does not seem to be a single person on earth who knows how to fix it.

I have a PSC 1350.  No matter which driver I use cups always says "Media tray empty!".  I have seen others with Epson, Canon, BJC and other printer makes that have this exact same problem.  The only common thread among them is that they are all using cups, so this must be a bug (and a pretty nasty one because it is so prevalent and still unsolved) in cups.  I am almost ready to put a bounty on this bug just to eradicate it from the face of the Earth.

If anybody has any suggestions of any kind, please flood my mailbox with them.