Adding printers...

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Aug 3 06:42:25 PDT 2004

Zachary Ploskey wrote:
> (reposted from dev, i must be blind) I'm using cups version 1.1.2,
> and when adding a printer it kept giving me an error:
>
> The printer name may only contain up to 127 printable characters.
>
> Now, all I had for my name was "hp deskjet 841c", so that error
> message is bogus.  It turns out that it does not allow any spaces in
> the printer name at all.  Perhaps this was fixed in subsequent
> versions of cups, I haven't bothered to upgrade (this version came
> with Slackware 10).

Technically, the space character doesn't print anything.  We don't
support spaces in printer names for a lot of good reasons (the main
one being that it would totally break things for legacy apps...

We recommend that you use the underscore (_) in place of spaces for
the printer name, and use the name with spaces for the description/
info field.