PPD files not found

Occam occam at internode.on.net
Mon Aug 9 15:56:01 PDT 2004

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Occam wrote:
> >
> > First - 'standard' printing works ok.
> > But - I cannot use any special capabilities of the printer, since the PPD files (properly placed and named, by CUPS, in /etc/cups/ppd/) cannot be found!
> > lpoptions -l tells me "Destination Kyocera has no PPD file!"
> > CUPS at localhost:631 works ok - except for "Configure printer" which gives an Error: server-internal-error
> >
> > I am running CUPS 1.1.20 supported by ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1, under Slackware 10 using kernel 2.6.7, normally with KDE 3.2.3 as desktop.
>

> The PPD files must be installed in (usually) /usr/share/cups/model to be
> recognized by the web interface or the lpadmin command.

The files were found there by the CUPS web interface and copied to /etc/cups/ppd with the name chosen for the printer.  I made a copy, with the chosen name, to /usr/share/cups/model - no luck.  I explicitly set the PPD file with lpadmin - still no luck, even after restarting cupsd.
Another computer with another printer shows the same problem. They both run Slackware 10, so next step will be to reinstall - FROM SOURCE - the software involved, piece by piece; starting with ESP ghostscript(?).

If anyone has some other, easier, solution please tell me. I am lazy..