calling a gtk program from a backend cups

Robert Sander robert.sander at epigenomics.com
Fri Dec 3 07:45:32 PST 2004

serge.sterck at skynet.Be schrieb:
> I've just written en c tiff cups backend but i need to ask some variables
> to perform archiving of this tiff. so i've made a gtk program to ask this parameters.
> The problem is when i try to launch the gtk program from cups backend using the system function of the glibc it doesn"t work and it doesn' t launch the program at all can somebody
> tell me how i can do this stuff.

This is an interesting question.

You need user interaction at the backend stage.
This is currently not possible as there is no way to display teh GUI on
the user's desktop. How should that be done?

A small daemon could sit on the user's desktop (maybe integrated into
kprinter or something similar) that responds to onnections from the CUPS
server. But this is a whole new concept.

The other possibility is to feed your variables as options with the
print job. The filter and the backend can easily evaluate the print job
options and react on them.

I would go this way if it's possible for you, i.e. if the values for
your variables can be defined at print job submit time.

Options are passed to the backend as argv[5], space separated.

Greetings
--
Robert Sander                     Senior Manager Information Systems
Epigenomics AG    Kleine Praesidentenstr. 1    10178 Berlin, Germany
http://www.epigenomics.com             robert.sander at epigenomics.com