Disallowing Remote Printing

Matt wsbg at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 10 06:03:02 PST 2004

Hi.  I use Mandrake 10.0 Powerpack and CUPS as my printing software.  I have unselected these options: "The Printers on This Machine are Available to Other Computers" and "Automatically find available printers on remote machines" but someone still managed to print on my system.  They try to print day after day after day.  The data used to appear to be rather random data - as if someone was trying to print to my printer using the wrong print driver, but today the content was definitely an executable - perhaps sent my worm, perhaps by a cracker.  My identification of the data as being executable was made by the first two letters of the output being MZ (The initialization header for Windows/DOS executable .EXE files) and the text string appearing reading "This program cannot be run in DOS mode." a ways after it.  When I looked at the description of the job through kjobviewer it appears that a user "Administrator" was trying to print on my system and the location remote001 or something like that designated the user of my printer as a remote system.  How do I TOTALLY stop ALL printing on my system from ANYONE on the Internet?  Please help, this has been a continuous problem.  Thanks.

By the way, when they try to print on my system the printing doesn't start automatically as they have not sent the initialization codes for my printer to start up (as they are sending RAW data such as executables) and the printing starts only after I initiate the printer by printing something myself.

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.