Using PJL in CUPS DDK driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Dec 13 13:57:52 PST 2004

anonymous wrote:
> I'm trying to build my own PCL printer driver with CUPS DDK.
>
> In CUPS Driver development Kit, it lists a dozen PJL attributes CUPS
> supports (e.g. cupsPunch, cupsTonerSave)
>
> Can I define my own attributes that's not listed in CUPS DDK (table
> 3-3)?

No, currently the driver only understands the listed attributes.

We may, at some future time, define additional ones or allow any
option in the PPD file to map to a PJL command.  Patches would be
welcome (submit via "http://www.cups.org/str.php")

> From my understanding, CUPS just put PJL command into the PCL file.
> (or maybe GS hardcoded some PCL command into the PCL file, and CUPS
> need to replace those PCL commands or else PCL command will overwrite
> PJL?)

GS is not involved with the PJL or PCL generation - the CUPS driver
receives raster data from Ghostscript, the imagetoraster filter,
or any of the cgfootoraster filters that Apple provides.