[cups.development] Support for Zebra SmartCard Printers?

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Fri Dec 17 13:05:02 PST 2004

Hi all,

we are currently trying to find a SmartCard printer that will be
usable with Free Software, ideally CUPS. Most of them seem to come
with proprietary Windows Drivers and have their own proprietary
printer language.

In my investigations, I have stumbled upon the

 Zebra SmartCard Printers
 http://www.zebracard.com/

where people were quick to answer and friendly. They have all their
documents -- including a Programmers Manual -- online at

 http://www.zebracard.com/manuals/

and immediately mailed me the Programmers Manual in PDF, as well.

Also, they connected me to a guy who apparently did driver development
for these printers for Windows and said that they were very easy to
work with -- his only stumbling stone were the 15 bits of color depth,
but besides that things were very well-documented and worked exactly
as described, he said.

All that does not sound too bad for me, so I wonder:

 - Is there anyone who is working on this already, per chance?

 - Is there anyone who could do this and would be interested in doing
   this? And under which conditions?

 - Is there anyone who has another SmartCard printer to recommend that
   is already supported?

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,
Georg