Authorization Granularity

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 22 07:58:56 PST 2004

Anonymous wrote:
> The current authorization scheme lumps together operational functions
> such as starting and stopping printers, with administrative functions
> such as configuring the system.

CUPS 1.2 will include per-printer and per-operation access control
policies (think Location stuff, but for IPP operations) so that you
can provide fine-grained authentication/access control.

Some of this is already in CVS; we are still working on the
infrastructure to fully support the web interface this way, too.