OS X cups And XCODE

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 12 07:21:02 PDT 2004

PieterJanDeBoeck at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> a) Does xcode have a framework i can insert into my project featuring
> cups code?

I don't believe so.  CUPS isn't implemented as a framework (just plain
old UNIX shared libraries)

> b) Insert the files one by one using include? (any optional
> parameters I should set for using linux code?

If you want to use the CUPS API functions to implement an application
that talks directly with CUPS, add the "cups" source directory to your
include path and then use:

     #include <cups/cups.h>
     #include <cups/ipp.h>

Alternatively, just copy the headers from the source tarball to
/usr/include/cups (I think "make installhdrs" will do the trick
for you) and then add "-lcups -framework CoreFoundation" to the
linker options (I forget how to do that with Xcode, but I think
you use the CoreFoundation framework and then add -lcups, or
something like that)

One of these days I am going to make a package that contains all
of these bits to make life easier for folks that want to do OSX
CUPS development...