[cups.bugs] CUPS out-of-paper retry time

John Vincent cups-bugs at lusis.org
Mon Jun 7 11:21:55 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is anywhere that can be set in the config files
to specify how quickly cups should retry a print job for things like
out-of-paper?

The issue we are running into is that our retail stores are having to
wait 5 minutes for a job to reprint if for some reason, the printer has
run out of paper. Current setup is CUPS printing to HP LaserJet 300
printers connected to the store network via Linksys WPS11 devices. Those
devices only support lpd (at least as far as CUPS can use).

The store will replace the paper rather quickly on the reciept printers
but we also have check printers of the same config connected to cups
that will never be kept with check stock. Those are fed manually.

If for some reason the check paper gets pulled back out before cups gets
a chance to start the job, it won't retry for at least 5 minutes.

Any tips?

Thanks.
John E. Vincent