pstops (CUPS 1.1.20) does not work with ESP-Documents (ununsable output)

Michael Obster michael at obster.org
Thu Jun 3 14:27:54 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have a big problem with the pstops filter. I'm using the non-patched version of CUPS 1.1.20.
As I can see pstops does not generate a usable postscript when the input is a ESP. You can see that very easy by this example:

sniffprint.ps: http://www.obster.org/sniffprint.ps
Open that with "gs" results in three pages which are looking as normal pages.

sniffprint2.ps: http://www.obster.org/sniffprint2.ps
This is the output generated by pstops. If you open this one with "gs" the result is an unusable document, where the content from one page is over the content of another page.

Also printing this file over CUPS on a LPD-Server or HP-Laserjets result in a very funny unusable printout.

Can anybody have a look on the filter, whats wrong there. As I can see it has s.th. to do with wrong ESPshowpage statements in the output.

Please send answers also on my work-address: mailto:michael.obster at m.eads.net

Greetings,
Michael Obster