[cups.development] Printing to a restricted ipp device

Jim Fehlig JFEHLIG at novell.com
Thu Jun 10 11:07:07 PDT 2004

I've been having difficulties printing to a restricted ipp device.  Here
is the configuration.

Created a printer (device type ipp) on cups server.  This server is
configured to broadcast printer on my subnet and for this particular
device I have added the following to cupsd.conf
    <Location /printers/HP4500>
      AuthType Digest #have tried AuthType Basic as well
    </Location>
Restarted cupsd and my client machine receives the printer.  Now if I
attempt to print, using for example kdelib's cupsdoprint, I receive a
dialog asking for credentials.  I provide valid credentials for the
target server however the job never leaves the local spooler.  I found
that the ipp backend spawned by the local spooler is attempting to
"get-printer-attributes" from the server, which responds 401 Not
Authorized.  The ipp backend then checks for ipp_status returned from
the server and in the case of Not Authorized will sleep for 10 seconds
and then return to the beginning of a loop to attempt the request again.
 I see that the ipp backed expects credentials to be included in the URI
passed in argv[0].  The username:password provided to the "Authorization
Dialog" never make it to argv[0] URI passed to the ipp backend.  The
backend will remain in this loop until the job is canceled.

I can successfully print to a restricted device if I manually install
the device on the client, i.e. add printer through the web
interface/command line tools, and edit the client's cupsd.conf with
identical location specified above.  In this case the local spooler
(cupsd) verifies the credentials and the ipp backend send the job
directly to the device.

Is there something I'm missing when the remote device requires
authentication?  How does the local spooler know the remote device is
restricted and thus pass the required credentials to the ipp backend
that will communicate with the device?

cups 1.1.20
SuSE 9.1
kdelibs3 3.2.1