obtaining from the logs of cups

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 12 10:51:05 PDT 2004

arcanox at msn.com wrote:
>   I use Suse 9 Professional and encounter that in /var/spool/cups appears a
> listing of archives, registries of cups
>
> For example
>
>       -rw-------    1 lp       lp            594 Mar 18 14:26 c00036
>       -rw-------    1 lp       lp            594 Mar 19 11:37 c00037
>       -rw-------    1 lp       lp            594 Mar 19 11:45 c00038
>       -rw-------    1 lp       lp            594 Mar 19 11:58 c00039
>       -rw-------    1 lp       lp            595 Mar 22 11:51 c00040
>

> When unfolding the content of the file appears this

These files are IPP messages; the "testipp" program in the "cups"
subdirectory of the sources can convert them to a human-readable
format for you and you can even use the code as a template for your
own.

That said, the normal way to access these files is through an IPP
Get-Jobs request (IPP_GET_JOBS).

The stdin and other cryptic names are the result of piping program
output into lp/lpr and/or printing a temporary file, and not setting
the job title in the print request.  Unfortunately, there is no way
to recover the original document name for these applications.