[cups.development] patch publication

Sebastian Freitag sebastian.freitag at cs.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Nov 10 01:18:47 PST 2004

Dear cups community,

I performed some code modifications to cups 1.2.21 to do these features:

- Sending a Mail to user, if his job has failed to print for some reasons.
This works even in anonymous mode, by parsing job owner in print jobs. But
this does only work, if there is a local mail-system, where user names are
equal to mail aliases.

- Printer Aliases: In the printers.conf file, a new Option "Alias" can be
set for each printer, if none is given, aliases are set to origin printer
names.

- At my work, we do not use printing authentication. With the anonymous
printing model provided by cups, each real user can cancel any job, even
if not owned (in real life). So I modified the printing model to overcome
this problem, a comparison between the owner name of the job to be cancelled
and the requesting user name from the IPP request.

If there is any interest in these modifications, send an email to get the
patch file (diff).

Regards,

S.Freitag

Sebastian Freitag                                             ////
                                                         UNI DO//
                                                         ---////
Universität Dortmund                                    \*\\///
Lehrstuhl Informatik 12                                  \\\\/

HiWi, Administrator       Mail:sebastian.freitag at cs.uni-dortmund.de

Otto-Hahn-Straße 12, E19

D-44221 Dortmund