JCL line termination issue

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Mon Nov 22 05:43:18 PST 2004

brian.hoy at opus.co.nz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are using a Panasonic DP-4510 Postscript level 3 printer, through Samba 2.2.12/CUPS 1.1.21, with automatic driver downloads.
>
> The printer works fine when the CUPS queue is set to raw (using lpd BTW), however it only prints "text" out when configured with the supplied PPD file. In our case, this means JCL commands followed by pages of Postscript.
>
> The JCL lines in the supplied PPD file are:
>
> *Protocols:          PJL TBCP
> *JCLBegin:           "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0D><0A>"
> *JCLToPSInterpreter: "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE=PS<0D><0A>"
> *JCLEnd:             "<1B>%-12345X at PJL EOJ<0D><0A><1B>%-12345X"
>
> By doing a network snoop of the LPD protocol, I can see that the CUPS filters (in non raw mode) do not terminate the JCL with CR/LF pair as requested, only a LF character.
>
> When running in raw mode, the CR/LF pair is sent to the printer, and the job prints properly.
>
> I would really appreciate it if you could fix CUPS to honour the line termination requested by the PPD.
>
> Many thanks,
> Brian

Is there any filter following the pstops filter in the filter chain that
might
scew up the newlines? The pstops filter should emit the complete strings
as
defined in the PPD, as far as I can see.
But, your printer obviously does not comply with HP's PJL specification.
That
says, the <LF> is mandatory but the <CR> is optional (I bought the
printed spec
from HP some time ago just to be on the right side with issues like
this).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke