How/where do I add a custom access control system?

Erik Forsberg forsberg at cendio.se
Tue Nov 23 04:09:09 PST 2004

Hi!

We'd like to limit access to some of the print queues in a CUPS system
based on information we have in a database. For example, we'd like to
limit access based on which client machine a user is using at the
moment.

Are there any simple way to plug in such access control in the CUPS
processing chain?

I got the idea that we could "hijack" the conversion between
application/postscript and application/vnc.cups-postscript, adding our
own conversion script and then, if access is allowed, pass the job to
the normal filter (pstops). Is this a good or bad idea?

Solutions that demand the absolutely newest CUPS are not very
interesting, since this has to work on CUPS installations provided by
Linux distributions, and they tend to be one or several versions
behind.

Thanks,
\EF
--
Erik Forsberg                Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00
Cendio AB                    Web: http://www.cendio.com