cups make dies in ipp-var.c

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Wed Oct 27 06:01:56 PDT 2004

Griff Miller wrote:

> Michael Sweet wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that is what is happening.  Make sure that "-I.." is in the
> > CFLAGS and/or OPTIM definitions in Makedefs before the
> > "-I/usr/local/include"; that will make the compiler use the local
> > headers instead of the installed ones...
>
> OK, that's all done. I got it to compile with that tip. Thanks!
>
> The reason I was upgrading from 1.1.18 to 1.1.21 is that I hoped
> it would fix a print quality issue that we have, but it didn't:
>
> For a particular application, we grab images from an image display
> program in X-Windows via xwd and convert them to PS and then send
> them to a PS printer (Tektronix Phaser 840 or 850).
>
> So the data path is either:
>
> xwd | xwdtopnm | pnmtops
>
> ...or:
>
> xwd | xwd2ps
>
> Which one depends on whether or not netpbm is installed. netpbm is
> preferred, since xwd2ps is a bit long in the tooth these days.
>
> Anyway, once the PS output is created, depending on where the process
> was initiated it will go to the printer one of two ways:
>
> 1) straight to the printer's LPD port.
> 2) through CUPS and then on to the printer.
>
> If #1 is the case, the print quality is good. However, if #2, the
> print quality is not too good, i.e. it is quite grainy. Could
> this be caused by the /usr/local/lib/cups/filter/pstops filter?
> If so, what I can do to improve the situation? Why does a PS
> file need to be massaged by pstops in the first place?
>
> Griff

Well, the pstops filter provides the handling of a lot of options (job
attributes)
that otherwise only would provided for native IPP printers and
implements things like
n-up printing, reverse output, collated multiple copies for printers
that cannot
do this by themselves etc. etc.
For PostScript printers, the rendering quality can only be affected by
the default
settings defined in the printer's PPD, e.g. the default resolution.
Configure your printer accordingly.
But maybe you configured your printer as a non-PS-printer by accident?

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung