[cups.development] Authentication

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Oct 18 07:42:25 PDT 2004

Geoff Teale wrote:
> Chaps,
>
> We have a photocopier here that we're hoping to be able to drive with
> CUPS (it's a Canon iR5020 apparently).  We have a PPD file for it, but
> CUPS doesn't seem to allow us to set the user credentials required to
> gain access to the photocopier.
>
> I've been roped in as a developer as I've written simple CUPS drivers
> for line printers before.  I'd rather not re-invent the wheel so my
> question is, does CUPS support passing a username and password to the
> printer (as the PPD specified) or must I write some custom driver that
> does?

CUPS doesn't support this specifically, however you could add the
username/password commands as a patch file in the PPD file so that
they are included with every job.

NOTE: this will expose that username and password to any user that
can access the PPD file.  Depending on your CUPS configuration, that
could mean anyone on the network could access it...