Set arbitrary value in PPD

Helge Blischke H.Blischke at srz-berlin.de
Tue Oct 26 06:40:33 PDT 2004

anonymous wrote:

> Is there anyway to set arbitrary value in PPD file?
> e.g. for attribute NumCopies or Scaling.
>
> I don't know how ParamNumCopies could help in this situation, as how can the
> web GUI/ applications (like open office) know it should be a text field
> instead of a drop down box?

Well, Adobe's PPD spec does not address this issue in general, but the
paragraphs on custom page size may be a guide how to do that:

Let's take Scaling as an example. First, the PPD should contain the
lines
---snip---
*CustomScaling: True "scale"
*ParamCustomScaling Xscale 1 points
*ParamCustomScaling Yscale 2 points
---snip---
where the True means this sort of scaling is supported, and if used,
2 parameters must be supplied: a value for Xscale and a value for
Yscale,
and both must be given in printer's points, and there are no bounds for
the values.

The GUI should offer input fields for the Param... keywords, properly
labelled,
and the type keyword (points in this case) indicate that the input must
be
numbers.

Helge

--