Japanese Character Set

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Sep 13 04:54:39 PDT 2004

Andrew wrote:
> Hello All.
>
> Based on the CUPS Translation guide(translation.pdf), Japanese
> character set is not yet supported(SJIS or EUC-JP). Is there a
> possibility this will be added in future releases? I'm willing to

CUPS 1.2 includes support for Shift-JIS and EUC-JP, and we already
have an initial Japanese translation pending integration (search
the STR page if you want to take a quick look)

> As of now, I already have some japanese ppds, but whenever I go to
> the CUPS web interface, I still need to go to view->code(mozilla)
> page and select Japanese(EUC-JP) to enable to read japanese
> characters. I figured, CUPS doesnt have the right Character set for
> Japanese so it defaults to ISO-8859-1

No, that's actually a different issue; CUPS 1.2 will convert
everything to/from UTF-8 with the web interface and CUPS API, and
to/from the locale encoding for command-line interfaces.