[cups.development] Pages to be printed

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun Sep 19 23:52:20 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 05:11:44AM +0000, p.mdriyaz at gmail.com wrote:

> I have one more question.. is it possible to determine the number
> of pages  that will be printed before the printing takes place??
>
> The reason i am asking this is because we need to have a per user
> quota based on pages. To implement this we need to determine the
> number of pages before printing it.

I'd suggest you use the pkpgcounter command which is part
of PyKota (http://www.librelogiciel.com/software/PyKota/action_Presentation)

pkpgcounter doesn't need a complete PyKota configuration, you
just have to install the files, but don't need to create any
database or modify the default configuration

pkpgcounter can count pages in PostScript (DSC compliant and binary),
PCL5 (up to 5), PCL6 (aka PCLXL), PDF, and ESC/P2

you can use it either in a pipe or with filenames as arguments,
or both

hoping this helps

Jerome Alet