[cups.bugs] State 98?

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Thu Apr 14 11:44:52 PDT 2005

schweizermartin at web.de wrote:
> Hello
>
> My cups-server has crashed down, and i don't know why. I have deleted a printer, and now, he says allways: "Verbindung zu CUPS-Server fehlgeschlagen. ÃœberprÃŒfen Sie, ob der CUPS-Server korrekt installiert wurde und aktiv ist. Fehler: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt" (connection to cups-server failed...). When i would start cups with the console, this is the result:
>
> linux:~ # rccups restart
> Shutting down cupsd                                                  done
> Starting cupsd                                                       done
> linux:~ # cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
>
> My question: 1.What did I wrong, and 2. What the hell is status 98???

Sometimes some processes grab port 631 in your system but shouldn't.

Identify the process:
	lsof -i -n | egrep TCP.\*ipp
and restart it (how - depends on process).

Then you should be able to start cupsd:
	rccups start

Sorry, but we currently don't know, why this happens. We did many
things in SUSE Linux to avoid it, but it still happens from time
to time.

Best regards,
	Klaus.
--