pstoraster: Unable to convert file

greg strockbine gstrock at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 16 21:24:52 PDT 2005

to summarize my problem.  I am writing
a driver and ppd file for my printer.
I was using the pstoraster filter, it
was working fine.  I made a change in my
ppd file and now pstoraster won't work
any more that is, nothing gets printed.

I have this line in my ppd file:

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-pstoraster 10 mydriver"

looking in /var/log/cups/error_log:

print_job: auto-typing file...
print_job: request file type is image/x-bitmap.
Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 199!
Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?
CancelJob: id = 199

Can someone tell me where and what is 'print_job'?
And why does print_job not think I have ESP gs
installed?  Especially when I do have it installed:
>  /usr/bin/gs --help
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1 (2003-07-12)

It almost seems like there is another ghostscript installed
on my system and the wrong one is getting invoked.

obviously, changing the ppd file couldn't be the problem.
I update my Gentoo system every couple of weeks so maybe
something that affects cups got changed.

by the way if I invoke
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster my.bmp
it does produce a postscript file.