pstoraster filter working again.

greg strockbine gstrock at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 23 14:30:55 PDT 2005

I have both these lines in my ppd file:

Filter application/vnd.cups-raster 10 rastertokpu
Filter application/vnd.cups-pstoraster 10 rastertokpu

and I can now send either text or graphics files to
my printer.

I thought I could have only one cupsFilter command per
PPD.

just as an aside, I had the pstoraster filter working
at one point and then it quit.  I'm using Gentoo linux,
and gentoo uses the ESP version of ghostscript by default.
I went so far as to diff the gentoo version against the
version on the www.cups.org website.  (minor differences
mostly, symbolic names used for directories).

The message that appeared in /var/log/cups/error_log when
I only specified pstoraster in my PPD file was:
    Unable to write raster data to driver!
On the mailing list of linuxprintinting.org it claims that
when you see that message it means the version of ghostscript
installed does not support the pstoraster filter.  But obviously
that was not my experience.