Offline Printer in Class

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Apr 29 05:21:31 PDT 2005

Sundar wrote:

> I have two network (Through Hawkins print servers) printers in a class.  Printing is done using Windows-Samba combination.
> Everything goes fine till one printer is turned off.  Once it is turned off, CUPS does not know about it till it sends the print job to the printer.
>
> The job is sent to the turned off printer:
> Status is : Processing, accepting jobs
> "Spooling LPR job 9% complete"
>
> Once the printer is turned on the job is not printed and it is lost.  Trying to restart the job gives client-error-not-possible.
>
> Please Help
>
> Sundar

Obviously the print server accepts a connection to the printer though it
is turned
off (and trashes the hanging job when the printer is runed on again).
Thus, CUPS does not know what is wrong with the printer.

The print server should already reject the LPD command that specifies
the queue name.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke