status from a USB printer

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Aug 8 05:55:43 PDT 2005

greg strockbine wrote:
> Should I be adding ioctl commands to my cups
> raster driver instead?  ...

No, you don't have direct access to the device from your driver
filter - the backend handles all of the communications for you.
Starting with CUPS 1.2, you will be able to read backchannel data
from your device assuming that the backend supports it (i.e. some
interfaces are not bidirectional), however there is no direct link
between your driver and the device.  If you need that level of
communication, then you'll need to develop your own backend.

If you find a situation where the current USB backend is not generic
enough, please let us know so we can improve it...