cupsd dies when deleting remove printer

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Aug 9 09:03:02 PDT 2005

Paul Raines wrote:

> We have several CentOS4.1 (RHEL4 clone) machines running cups-1.1.22-0
>
> On one particular subnet, the cupsd daemon keeps dying on these
> machines.  In every case, the last line is error_log is
>
> I [08/Aug/2005:13:35:22 -0400] Remote destination
> "color2_on_mindful_nmr_mgh_harvard_edu" has timed out; deleting it...
>
> A long name so I suspect some buffer overrun
>
> Anyway, one thing I cannot figure out how to do in CUPS is how to
> turn off adding of random printers without turning of Browsing
> all together.  I have a central print server and I want may machines
> to only Browse the printers on that one machine.
>
> I have tried:
>
> Browsing Off
> BrowsePoll printsrv
>
> which seems to ignore the BrowsePoll. I then tried
>
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
> BrowseAllow from printsrv
>
> But then it still adds all thse random printer from other machines.
> It seems BrowseAllow only affects who is allowed to Poll you for
> printers, no who you will accept remote printer from.  There seems
> to be no way to control that without turning off Browsing all together.
> This to be seems to be a big Denial of Service security hole.

What I've done in a similar case is to specify in the client's cupsd.conf:

BrowseDeny all
BrowsePoll printserver:631
BrowseInterval 90

That causes an additional daemon to be started, cups-polld, which polls the server
every 90 seconds. Make sure that the BrowswTimeout value is greater than the interval.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung