<Policy>

Anders Blomdell anders.blomdell at control.lth.se
Wed Aug 24 09:13:02 PDT 2005

> Anonymous wrote:
> > How is the <Policy> directive in cups-1.2.x intended to be used?
>
> It will be a general-purpose replacement for the various
> "<Location /admin/op=foo>" hacks in use with 1.1.x.  Basically,
> you'll be able to define policies for all printers or specific
> printers which allow different users to do administration,
> cancel jobs, etc.
>
> In short, Policy provides fine-grained control over all IPP
> operations.
Unfortunately documentation is lacking. What I have problem figuring out from the source, is how authentication is supposed to work. There is also the problem that the admin.cgi script does not check that it has access to all needed information before it presents its dialogs to the user (e.g. try to add a printer with cups-get-devices policy set to deny, then you will be presented with an empty device list!).

Are there any examples available on this new (and badly needed) feature, or is it still in a flux?

Best Regards

Anders Blomdell