[cups.development] writing new driver

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Dec 6 06:39:31 PST 2005

Parag N wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>      can you please elaborate more on my questions as well as yuor reply
> to that. what do you mean by printer that uses a language(Which language
> confused). Also i have no existing driver. Are all ppd files are cups
> file( i mean not foomatic files) right?
> regards,
> Parag.

Parag,

You'll need a certain knowledge about printers and printer languages
before you can write a driver on any platform.  If your printer uses
a language we already support (HP PCL, HP RTL, ESC/P, PostScript,
Dymo, Zebra CPCL, EPL, and ZPL), then you can just create a PPD file
that uses the existing drivers to support your printer.

If not, you will need to write a new raster filter - this process is
covered in the CUPS Book and CUPS DDK Manual.  I advise you to start
there and *then* ask questions.  You can also get support and/or
consulting from my company directly - see the contact information
at:

     http://www.easysw.com/contact.php