Boca filter and driver working on Suze Linux, some problems and questions on Mac OS X

Johan Henselmans johan at netsense.nl
Wed Dec 7 04:03:51 PST 2005

I have built a boca driver and filter for the boca labelprinters.

After some hairpulling I finally found out how the cups raster was
built, so I could do some magic bit swapping to get the bits on all the
right places.

In the testing, most of it worked from a Linux Suze distribution.

One problem there: The printer is a USB printer and some artefacts seem
to remain on the top of the page. Might that be an unclean buffer? How
should I proceed to get these artefacts removed?

I also got reckless, what the heck, let's do it on Mac OS X.

So I compiled cups-1.1.23, fixed one error in the filter compilation
with 'lcc_dynamic' by replacing this with 'gcc'.

Also I could not get pdftops to compile
(
ppp14:~/projecten/boca/cups-1.1.23boca/pdftops johan$ make
Linking pdftops...
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
__Unwind_Resume
__Unwind_GetDataRelBase
__Unwind_GetIP
__Unwind_GetLanguageSpecificData
__Unwind_GetRegionStart
__Unwind_GetTextRelBase
__Unwind_SetGR
__Unwind_SetIP
__Unwind_RaiseException
__Unwind_Resume_or_Rethrow
__Unwind_DeleteException
)

but thought, not important, there are these beautiful Apple converters.

So I compiled my filter and installed it in /usr/share/cups/filter,
compiled the ppd's and installed them in /usr/share/cups/model,
And added the printer. And it worked: it was recognized, and I could
configure the printer via the web interface.
The test page from the webinterface was printed properly. However,
printing from any application (lp  testfile.txt, lp test.pdf)
Resulted in strange messages on top of the printout:

P5[]FileversionO EnglishLanguageVersion

is decipherable.

I thought it have something to do with the filters in
/etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/apple.convs, but I am not sure.

Last, I would like to do some testing with any printmanagement system
involved: just print a file through a set of filters, in to the USB backend.

On Linux I could just do:

/usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops 1 johan test 1 options testfile.txt  |
/usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster | ./rastertoboca 1 johan test 1
options > /dev/usb/lp0

How am I supposed to do that on Mac Os X?

Johan Henselmans