Boca filter and driver working on Suze Linux, some problems and questions on Mac OS X

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 7 06:50:53 PST 2005

Johan Henselmans wrote:
> I have built a boca driver and filter for the boca labelprinters.
>
> After some hairpulling I finally found out how the cups raster was
> built, so I could do some magic bit swapping to get the bits on all the
> right places.
>
> In the testing, most of it worked from a Linux Suze distribution.
>
> One problem there: The printer is a USB printer and some artefacts seem
> to remain on the top of the page. Might that be an unclean buffer? How
> should I proceed to get these artefacts removed?

How are you reading the raster data?

> I also got reckless, what the heck, let's do it on Mac OS X.
>
> So I compiled cups-1.1.23, fixed one error in the filter compilation
> with 'lcc_dynamic' by replacing this with 'gcc'.

10.4's GCC 4 is missing the supc++ library as well as cc_dynamic.
The fix is to use g++ and drop those libraries, as Apple will not
be providing them anymore ("working as advertised" is the resolution
for the Radar bug I opened on this...)

This is reflected in the CUPS 1.2 sources as well as Apple's CUPS
1.1.x Darwin sources.

> /usr/lib64/cups/filter/texttops 1 johan test 1 options testfile.txt  |
> /usr/lib64/cups/filter/pstoraster | ./rastertoboca 1 johan test 1
> options > /dev/usb/lp0
>
> How am I supposed to do that on Mac Os X?

You have to use the backend - there are no character devices for USB
printers on OSX.