PJL Commands

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Dec 14 11:27:36 PST 2005

pminatra at hsutx.edu wrote:
> I am trying to better understand how I need to get access to PJL commands.
>
> I am in need of beiong able to do something like:
> "<1B>%-12345X at PJL JOB<0A>@PJL OPMSG DISPLAY = "Load Advice Forms"<0A>"
>
> Which would give the message "Load Advice Forms" on the display of the LaserJet Printer (messages would change to show "Load Check Forms" or "Load MICR Toner") and take the printer offline; which requires the operator to bring the printer back on line.
>
> All this needs to be done with a 'text only' driver as I am 'also' going through a printing solution that requires text only output.
>
> Wondering if I can get any words of wisdom on how best to do this?
>
> I anticipate using the DDK and a text_only driver but not really sure of what my steps are.

You'd need to provide Filter lines for application/vnd.cups-postscript
and text/plain - the vnd.cups-postscript filter would be "-" and the
text/plain filter would be your own custom filter program that uses
the CUPS PPD API to emit the proper JCL commands prior to printing
the text.

You'll want to define JCL options (see the PCL driver examples)
for each form, and then those options will be applied when you
print (the solution would support both plain text and PostScript
printing...)

FWIW, you can contact me directly for consulting rates, etc. for
this sort of thing, but this sounds like a pretty simple project.