Cannot print to OCE 9400 plotter...

sleepy sleepy at williams-int.com
Wed Dec 14 12:17:15 PST 2005

> > Have you checked the plotter?
> >
> > there are different types, some of them don't talk PS.
> >
> > In my opinion this is not a printer it is a plotter.
> >
> > some of the talk socket other lpr with special queues.
> >
> > regards
> > Franz
>
> Franz,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  You are correct in that this is a plotter, used for plotting technical drawings on large blueprint sized paper.  I should not have used the words plotter and printer interchangeably in my original message.
>
> Do you think the problem lies in how the plotter is configured w/in the CUPS interface?  Should I just start experimenting with different Device URI's, (ie different combinations of lpd/lpr, raw, sockets and queues)?
>
> Thanks again,
>

> sleepy

We were able to fix the problem, so I thought I'd share our findings in case anyone else runs into this. :)

The solution was to NOT use the PPD file from oce.com, and to instead send the raw data to the plotter.  We removed the plotter from the CUPS listing, and added it again with the following values:

Device:  LPD/LPR Host or Printer
Device URI:  lpd://NAME_OF_YOUR_PLOTTER/PASSTHRU
Make:  (Select Raw from top of list)
Model:  (The only choice should be 'Raw Queue')

And at that point, the plotter should accept drawing files!

One word of notice; the plotter does not process test pages sent from the CUPS web interface.

sleepy