[cups.bugs] lpd backend dies silently with nonzero answer to

Reinhard Mueller reinhard.mueller at bytewise.at
Fri Feb 4 05:06:06 PST 2005

When the lpd server answers an lpd_command with a nonzero status result
(some print servers seem to do this, e.g. on the \03 subcommand when the
print job is too big to fit into the print server's memory), the lpd
backend dies without having given any message with a severity higher
than DEBUG (last message is "DEBUG: lpd_command returning %d\n").

It could be a good idea adding an error message before dying, like
"ERROR: Remote host did not accept 'Receive control file' command: (%d)"
so people see something informative in their error_log file.

Would you accept a patch changing this?

Please cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed to this list.

Thanks,
Reinhard