[cups.bugs] cups 1.1.19-100 freezes system on boot

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Feb 8 03:40:55 PST 2005

seupel at web.de wrote:
> Not sure if this is a bug or of interest at all. I am running SUSE 9.0, have 2 printers attached, lp0 on board, lp1 on PCI card. Both printers work. The problem is, printer at lp1 must be switched on while booting, otherwise system freezes after message "Starting cupsd". This happens with cups 1.1.19-100 (latest version SUSE online update supplied me). I reinstalled 1.1.19-75 from CD, and system boots with both printers off.
> Shall try if I can use current version form this site.

The difference between both versions are backported security patches:
in the filter programms (xpdf, hpgltops, etc) and in the scheduler
(a DoS attack).

But, on the other side, its very likely that your problem is caused
from the scanning of the printer during CUPS startup: it might be from
backend "parallel", but maybe a side-effect from different one, like
"usb" or "canon".

At least we didn't change anything in this part of the code. :(

So, you see me very puzzled on your bug report.

If you're looking for newer CUPS package made for SUSE, try these:
	ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/kssingvo/unsupported/CUPS/9.0/RPMS/
(or any mirror).

But please note that these version come with absolutely no support
and that the 1.1.22 doesn't contain the latest security patches.

Sorry, but I don't have the time at the moment to build the latest
packages (1.1.23) for all old SuSE versions.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel