[cups.bugs] cups 1.1.19-100 freezes system on boot

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Mon Feb 14 05:26:00 PST 2005

Anonymous wrote:

> Thanks to Klaus for attention. I tried cups 1.1.21 as suggested but with no success. Also I have to correct my statement that 1.1.19-75 works, it works sometimes.
> I am puzzled by the fact that only the 2nd printer must be switched on during startup, 1st printer can be off. Both printers are old fashioned parallel printers, USB is not into play.
> Another distribution has no problem with both printers off, but has a more recent kernel. May be I have to live with this problem until I upgrade to SUSE 9.2 (or later).
> Is there a way to prevent cups from scanning printers upon startup ?

You can disable a specific backends from scan at startup, if you
remove the binaries (delete them) from /usr/lib/cups/backend/

But then you are no longer able to use these backends for printing.

So take care.

The best solution is to find out which backend is causing the problem.

You are lucky, because you mentioned that 1.1.19-75 sometimes works.
Boot into such a system and call every backend manually (as user
root). Find the problematic backend out -- maybe several tries are
necessary. Remove the bad backend from your system. BTW: Remove it
again, if you get a CUPS security update from your distribution
vendor. :-)

Some users already reported such a problem before. In most cases a
simple BIOS update solved their problem.

This might also be the answer why other kernel version are not
problematic.

If possible try to update your BIOS, but do this only with care!

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel