[cups.bugs] Cupsys printer failures: lost jobs

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sat Jan 15 17:18:00 PST 2005

Tom Allison wrote:

> >>When I try to configure this printer again,
> >

> > Which tool do you use to configure your printer?? Which version
> > of the tool is it?
> >

> Add Printer from Cups website (port 631)

OK -- that means you have an "old" PPD in /usr/share/cups/model/*
which contains a line in its heading identifying it as "recommended"
(must likely near the "ShortNickName" keyword).  (Debian, eh?)

Note, that foomatic isnt supported or authored by CUPS.org, it is
supported and authored by Linuxprinting.org.

Note, that the current Linuxprinting.org website does recommend the
foomatic/ljetplus PPD (which uses the "-sDEVICE=ljetplus" of
Ghostscript) for this printer in its non-PS incarnation, not
another one.

Note, that it is also the recommendation from CUPS.org to use
vendor-PPDs for PostScript printers. After all, CUPS is designed
to grok these.

> >>it gives me driver options
> >>that are like "Kyocera Mita FS-1010 Foomatic/Postscript
> >>(recommended)" which is the one I've been using.
> >

> > The recommendation is insane, given the fact that they also have
> > original vendor provided PPDs from Kyocera in their download area.
> > (However, if it is RedHat's printconf-gui or some other distro
> > printer wannabe config tool, it is not Linuxprinting.org's fault...
>
> Debian.  I'll see what they have to say about this.

I can't help you if you trust their "foomatic/PostScript" recommendation for a PostScript printer that has a perfectly working
vendor PPD. Maybe you should buy your next printer from Debian too,
if you dont trust vendor PPDs?

Sigh....