[cups.development] cups filter Xpdf/pdftops seems to produce

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jan 17 08:07:40 PST 2005

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Yes, but then you'd have to interprete either the DocumentMedia or
> the BoundingBox comment to get the media size set up in the PDF file
> (it is determined by the crop box, if present, or the media box
> otherwise, if I remember correctly). It sould be sufficient to remove
> the duplex stuff from that procedure as that has no counterpart in
> the PDF file itself.

The setpagedevice command is printer-specific, and it is not safe to
set the page size that way.

The page size can be changed in a PDF file on a per-page basis,
so the DocumentMedia and BoundingBox comments are not applicable.

The current filter does not set the media size from the PDF file
and centers the PDF page by default; the "fitplot" option scales
the page down.

We have some pending changes that will allow the user to choose
the scaling and page size behavior independently, however they will
*not* use Xpdf's pdfSetup but instead the printer-specific commands
from the PPD file.  We will, of course, include the corresponding
DSC comments.