64 bit OS support in cups

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jan 27 21:03:24 PST 2005

Soju_Varghese wrote:
> Hi all,
> If I am developing a printer driver using cups or cupsomatic can it
> support 64 bit OS also in the future. for eg. If I am using
> rastertoepson filter driver can it be used for 64 bit also without
> making modifications in the ppd and driver code.

If you use an existing filter, then there should be no 64-bit issues
to worry about (the only potential issue would be porting a raster
filter to a 64-bit OS, but all of the sample CUPS drivers are 64-bit
safe...)

FWIW, we do not recommend using cupsomatic or foomatic for future
CUPS driver development - it is really only useful for supporting
Level 1 PostScript printers and Ghostscript-based drivers (the
extra features in 3.0 have proven to be quite problematic)