1.2 snapshot has no "make uninstall"

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Jul 1 05:53:52 PDT 2005

Michael R Sweet wrote:

> Anonymous wrote:
> > Hi, after trying out the latest 1.2 snapshot I noticed it was missing a "make uninstall"... now I'm stuck with a borked printing system and I can't go back to 1.1.23 without breaking something. HELP?
>
> There is not support for the "uninstall" target.  If you want one,
> file a STR requesting it, and even better include a patch which
> implements it...
>
> Uninstall is non-trivial, especially WRT configuration files.

Well, yes, but not impossible (e.g. see the rpm's on Linux systems or the
good old pkg's on SYSV-style systems (e.g. Solaris).
I think the most serious issue is if you are forced to deal with
different (and mostly not really compatible) mothods of tracking the state
of the installed software.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke