espgs8.15rc3: rangecheck in setpagedevice with custom PPD

Brion Finlay none at nospam.net
Fri Jun 3 14:13:21 PDT 2005

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Brion Finlay wrote:
>> Main issue:
>> It seems like ghostscript 8.15rc3 is not using the pagesize
>> information from
>> my PPD files correctly.  In my PPD, I redefine the letter pagesize
>> to 312x425 with HW resolution 203x203.  Looking at the log, the
>> pagesize 312x425 shows up on the initial line for the job, but the
>> pagesize is redefined later as 612x792.  After setup, cups tries
>> to set the pagesize to 312x425, but this results in a "rangecheck in
>> setpagedevice" error.
>

> Are you sure the rangecheck happens because of the page size?
>
> You should be able to just run gs with those options and enter the
> following PS commands to trigger the error if so:
>
>     << /PageSize [ 312 425 ] >> setpagedevice
>
> If that doesn't trigger the error, then the problem lies in one of
> the other commands...

I ran the following command:
gs -dQUIET -dDEBUG -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dNOMEDIAATTRS -sDEVICE=cups -sstdout=%stderr 2> gs.log

and then entered:
<< /PageSize [ 312 425 ] >> setpagedevice

It did trigger the same rangecheck error.

I have attached the output.  It looks like something is setting the Letter page size to 612x792 with resolution of 100x100.