[cups.development] Problem with HWResolution set to an value not in

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Jun 6 05:27:57 PDT 2005

René Rebe wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running the lated stable CUPS release labelled "1.1.23". However I
> experience a problem with the rasterizer for the Minota Magicolor 2430dl
> laser printer as shipped by Minolta and delivered in source form, licensed
> under the GPL.
>
> Often printing works fine - however with certain Postscript input (it is yet
> unclear what files couse this - however it seems the file need to be large -
> e.g. above one MB or so) the driver quits with:
>
> Resolution 100 is not support.
>
> This is due to the driver is only expecting 100 dpi and up:
>
> if(header.HWResolution[0]>=600)
> {
>   // ...
> }
> else
> {
>   fprintf(stderr, "ERROR: Resolution %d is not support\n",
> header.HWResolution[0]);
>   // ..
>   return(1);
> }
>
> as specified in the PPD file:
>
> *%DefaultResolution: 600dpi
>
> *OpenGroup: *PrinterOptions/Basic Features
>
> *OpenUI *Resolution/Resolution: PickOne
> *OrderDependency: 20 AnySetup *Resolution
> *DefaultResolution: 1200x600dpi
> *Resolution 600x600dpi/600x600 DPI: "
> <</HWResolution[600 600]>>setpagedevice"
> *End
> *Resolution 1200x600dpi/1200x600 DPI: "
> <</HWResolution[1200 600]>>setpagedevice"
> *End
> *Resolution 2400x600dpi/2400x600 DPI: "
> <</HWResolution[2400 600]>>setpagedevice"
> *End
> *CloseUI: *Resolution
>
> I already looked into the source, but have not yet located why CUPS often does
> hand 600 dpi to the "rastertokml" and for some (so far it looks big files) it
> does use 100 dpi ... ???
>
> I noticed in the log and source, that it starts with 100dpi and then, later
> on, sets the HWResolution to the one specified by the user / printer. However
> so far it is a mystery to me why this does only happen work sometimes.
>
> The rasterizer source is available here:
>
>   http://dl.exactcode.de/magicolor/
>
> And I would post debug cups logs if they are a help. Any help, including
> pointing to a specific cups source file where I should take a look into, is
> appreciated.

I suspect your problem is due to some structure layout mismatch. I just
got the
sources you mentioned, looked into, and found that the rasterizer
package uses
some CUPS header files that are *not* part of the public interface(s),
and
the CUPS version which is referenced there is 1.1.15, which is quite
old.

You may have a chance to settle this issue if you get the respective
header files
out of the source tree for just the CUPS version you are using (1.1.32
IIRC).

Let us know what happens.

Helge

--