[cups.bugs] Re: NEC Silentwriter2 S60P does not print with cups

Alexander Fieroch fieroch at web.de
Tue Jun 21 05:24:35 PDT 2005

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Alexander Fieroch wrote:
>
>>Helge Blischke wrote:
>>
>>>Dunno. Try some generic PostScript PPD to check if your printer really
>>>has a working PostScript interpreter.
>>
>>Hm, I think the driver "NEC Silentwriter2 S60P" is a generic PostScript,
>>isn't it? gnome-cups-manager lists the driver as postscript.
>>Otherwise raw should be the generic postscript driver, shouln't it? This
>>isn't working too.
>
> Post (an URL to) the PPD you used.

I've configured two printers - one in postscript mode and one for the HP
LaserJet IIP emulation.
There are two ppds in /etc/cups/ppd that should be the used ppds:
LaserJet-IIP-series.ppd
Silentwriter2-S60P.ppd

I've uploaded these files to

http://home.edo.uni-dortmund.de/~orclex/test/LaserJet-IIP-series.ppd
http://home.edo.uni-dortmund.de/~orclex/test/Silentwriter2-S60P.ppd

>>>Has the printer some switches to select the
>>>language?
>>
>>Yes, I can select on the printers display between "PostScipt", "emulate
>>LJ IIP" and "binary protocol".
>
> Is there any information on what the difference between PostScript and LJ IIP
> is? And what does "binary protocol" mean in this environment?

The documentation sais:
"The S60P has a built-in emulator for the Hewlett-Packard LaserJet
Series IIP printer. This emulator is intended mainly for processing
output from software packages that do not directly support the
PostScript language."

and

"The S60P supports an alternate protocol for the serial and parallel
communications channels. This protocol allows all character codes to be
transmitted as data, but also allows certain characters to be used for
specifying control functions, which may be handled asynchronously by the
communications driver. These control functions include status requests,
aborting of jobs, end-of-job markers, and flow control for the serial
channels.

Since any character code can be transmitted as data with this protocol,
it can be used for sending PostScript language jobs that contain binary
images, or for sending to emulators commands with any sequence of
control characters."

There are also some commands that I don't understand (PostScript Language?):
  statusdict begin currentfile /hpcl emulate

With M$ Windows I've used the printer as HP LaserJet IIP emulation and
the hp driver. I only know it should work as HP LaserJet or as
PostScript printer, but it doesn't.

Regards,
Alexander