cupsd prevents disc spin-down

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Sun Jun 26 17:29:22 PDT 2005

> bumpelo at comcast.net wrote:
> > cupsd seems to periodically re-write the file /etc/cups/certs/0...

> First, please read the documentation - the RootCertDuration directive
> controls how long the root certificate is valid.
>
> Second, we update the root certificate periodically for better
> security.  It is possible to disable this (set the duration to 0) if
> you don't care about your local security.

Actually I did read the documentation (at least the administrators guide) but I did not make the connection between this file and RootCertDuration.

It's obvious now, but I really think it is still inappropriate to have such a dynamic file living in the /etc path. I think it really belongs in /var. I do care about security as well as wasted power so I won't be disabling the certificate expiration. I was unable to see how the file name/path is specified, so I'll just make a symlink to move this on to my solid-state disc where the transient file activity belongs.

I haven't read the developers documentation so I can only speculate that there is no need for this to be written in the normal file system at all since it is so small and transient.

Thanks for your assistance.

harry