Printer remains disabled after USB cable disconnect/reconnect

Anonymous anonymous at easysw.com
Fri Mar 4 13:00:22 PST 2005

Hi there,

we have CUPS 1.1.23 server (almost) successfully running on a Linux 2.6.8 box with a Kyocera Mita FS1020D printer attached to it over USB.
The only annoyance is that after a physical disconnect of the printer (i.e. pulling out the USB cable) and putting it back in afterwards, the printer state remains disabled. I guess it has been disabled automatically after a print job could not be processed (which is completely correct behaviour).
Example: "[Job 35] Unable to open USB device "usb://Kyocera/Mita%20FS-1020D": No such device"

If the USB cable is attached again it seems that CUPS will not be notified of that event though. The printer needs to be enabled by hand:

$ enable PrinterName

It would be convenient though (reducing customer complaints) to automate this.
Is this a known issue? Do solutions exist to this problem?

If not I would suggest that a custom USB hotplug script be added that basically is called whenever a printer is plugged in (interface 7/1/2).
The problem in this case would be to find a mapping between the connected USB device and the printer (destination) name.
Do you have any suggestions to a more elegant solution than writing a cupsd.conf parsing shell script?

Thank you very much for your suggestions and support.
Cheers, Georg