[cups.development] originating host

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Mar 7 22:05:04 PST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 05:04:22PM -0500, Anonymous wrote:

> I have a cups-backend to create PDF's and like to
> distribute the File to the User via e-mail.
> Therefore I need the "job-originating-host-name" to
> do a lookup for the mail-Address in my backend.
>
> Unlike the problem Michael Sweet described in his thread
> "need job-originating-user in backend" (Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:44:42 -0400) i can't use argv[2] to do the lookup, because
> all users in our Network are called "user" (thanks to our
> famous sysadmin!)

Maybe you need to parse the print job's control file to extract
this information.

I've written such a parser in Python, contact me privately if you're
interested. Still incomplete but all textual information like
job-originating-host-name is correctly extracted.

NB : the fact that it works today doesn't mean that it will work
in the future if CUPS developpers change the way they store this
information, but at least it works... today :-)

bye

Jerome Alet