http return code errors problem ?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Mar 9 07:41:36 PST 2005

sean wrote:
>>>What I am seeing in the logs is this:
>>>

>>>35.8.3.1 - - [08/Mar/2005:14:08:36 -0500] "POST /printers/web-print HTTP/1.1" 401 0
>>>35.8.3.1 - picasso [08/Mar/2005:14:08:36 -0500] "POST /printers/web-print HTTP/1.1" 200 142
>>
>>Actually, this indicates that the challenge worked - first we say
>>"halt, what's the password?", and then the next request includes
>>the auth info and we allow the request through.
>

> Yes but you are not CHECKING the credentials before letting the request through. You are saying "Halt! I need credentials", I hand you my expired credit card, "You say go on through!", then later you try to run up the charge on the credit card and find out it is expired, the next time you see me you say "Halt! I need credentials" again.
>
> Or maybe I am not following this correctly. This is what I think you are saying:
>
> The client sends the first request.
> The server sends the 401 error.
> The client sends the invalid credentials.
> The server sends back a 200 OK response.
> (then start back at the beginning again)

Actually, the server checks the invalid credentials; since it is sending
a 200 response, the server thinks they are valid since the PAM module
has said "these credentials are correct".  Otherwise, it would send
another 401 response.

Sooo, I would suspect that you are running into a caching problem
in your PAM module and not a problem with CUPS.