ssl support in OS X.

Sean picasso at madflower.com
Thu Mar 10 20:42:54 PST 2005

Maybe this is documented, but I am having not much luck with SSL support in OS X. I recompiled and reinstalled CUPS to upgrade versions to see if some of these issues had been resolved.

With Encryption Always set in the client.conf file:
seans-Computer:~/Desktop/cups-1.1.23/systemv] root# ./lp -E
lp: error - scheduler not responding!

With it set to the default value.
[seans-Computer:~/Desktop/cups-1.1.23/systemv] root# ./lp
[seans-Computer:~/Desktop/cups-1.1.23/systemv] root#

The fun part about this is that my authenticated IPP queue works with Encryption Always set on. However, the Apple Printer Setup utility can't see any of the printers until i turn it off (i assume (maybe incorrectly), the printer setup is just a wrapper around the command line tools.) My guess is most of them don't work.

Also with the Encryption variable set to default, this shows up in the access log.

24.11.158.2 - - [31/Dec/1969:19:00:00 -0500] "WAITING HTTP/1.1 HTTP/0.9" 405 0

I guess I am wondering since the queue is expecting encryption, if it is trying to still negotiate the connection since the date field indicates the wrong timestamp and it can't find any cert.

when you set the Encryption variable back to Always:
24.11.158.2 - sean [10/Mar/2005:23:12:00 -0500] "POST /printers/web-print HTTP/1.1" 200 310

You are getting the correct data in all the fields

Now I think part of this MAYBE because we are using self-signed certificates and even if you go to the web page (with a web browser, it is not liking the certificate and prompting you to accept it or not. (with the warning of the man in the middle attack). Since I believe the cert is actually signed with a different name (same ip address)

Sean