Job title character set?

Ken Herron kherron at fmailbox.com
Thu May 5 13:15:25 PDT 2005

I have a UTF-16 string which I want to use as the job title when calling cupsPrintFile(). The SPM description doesn't mention the expected character set for the job title argument, and all the examples use simple ASCII.

I want to make sure the title that I pass is handled properly by whatever backend receives the job, e.g. the title displays properly in a print-queue list. Can I downconvert to UTF8 and expect that to be handled properly? If not, what about downconverting to the character set returned by cupsGetLangDefault()? Or is ASCII the only character set I can use reliably?